Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Life Without Technology




I remember in high school and earlier where my life didn’t rely on internet, cell phones, and other forms of technology. Back then my friends and I played more outdoor games, or used old school video games like Sega Genesis and Nintendo 64. It didn’t take long after high school though for me to completely rely on technology and not just for entertainment, but for getting things done.

It used to be that I preferred always physically writing out my notes/outlines for everything. I still do that once in a while, but I have learned the value of embracing technology. I’m significantly faster at taking notes on my laptop, and if I need to write something down I can note things by voice onto my phone. My favorite is using my scriptures on the LDS app on my kindle. No matter the device I use I can highlight passages of scripture or conference talks and add notes or tags to my highlighted sections for later reference. Since my notes are synced on all my devices I can always find them. Life is certainly made easier in many ways with technology.

Unfortunately, I’m experiencing some serious setbacks by having very limited internet access. My apartment internet is not working at all currently. Regardless of the complaints made by my roommate and I last week and again yesterday, nothing has been fixed. So to complete my assignments and projects I have had to go to the library to get things done. Saturday I was there all day from opening to close (10am to 6pm). Things got worse because Monday my laptop decided it won’t connect to the internet in the library. The IT people told me that the library is working on some internet improvements and my computer probably won’t work in the library until it’s fixed in a week or so. Now I have to wander around campus to find a good quiet place that I can stay for 6-8 hours and work. This has been EXTREMELY frustrating! I no longer work out because I want to maximize my daylight time at Uni for the internet and I can’t motivate myself to workout at night. Now I have to download whatever I can so I might be able to work or do some reading for class at home, but some things such as my class blogs are impossible without internet access. Life without technology and internet in particular is no fun.

On a happier note, I have completed the majority of my smaller assignments (click here to check out my biology blog) and can now put most of my efforts into my large assignments due in a few weeks. I feel confident I’ll be able to get everything done and I’m mostly grateful I don’t have a job so that I have been able to devote as much time as needed to my assignments as well as work around my current internet issues. Additionally this internet inconvenience has allowed me to spend more time reading other books like Pride and Prejudice. Also, I’ve been able to assist the missionaries with two lessons this last week which is always fun and uplifting. In short, I’m greatly missing technology, but I’m trying to make the most of it. Hope everyone had a great Mother’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment