Thursday, February 6, 2014

In the Nick of Time


As usual I have waited too long for posting. My goal this year was to post weekly and of course when we fail we don't give up...we keep trying!

Last week was incredibly "church" eventful starting with a fun jar making activity with Young Women, getting visited by home teachers (they do exist!), setting up a youth dance with a Chinese New Year theme, and heart attacking one of our Young Women for her birthday.

During this week, Matt and I had the upcoming doom with his last day being Friday at work. Not to mention he hadn't been paid in a while and I still hadn't received my financial aid. We had an upcoming energy bill that I wasn't sure when it was going to charge and our rent bill. My account got down to a low $70 and we were just praying that we were going to get money in time for the next bill.

I had a couple of interesting issues where I went to lunch for my supervisor's birthday with other lab members but I forgot my credit card and someone had to pay for my lunch. Although I didn't intentionally do this, it was fortuitous since I found out I had less money than I thought.

For a while I have been using Sheer Cover mineral makeup and they send auto-ship orders which means it wasn't too long till I had too much makeup. Months ago I called and I thought I cancelled my membership but when another shipment appeared it turns out I had only put a hold for six months. This made me really upset because I got charged for it without any e-mail notification that I was getting anything sent to me and of course to send it back I lose $12 in shipping. Through a lot of arguing on the phone I was able to get them to pay for shipping to return the products and cancelled my account. Somehow I got the product back and had to resend it again. By the time they got the product I had already been charged for the second payment! Needless to say I was extremely upset with the company and their customer service is atrocious! DON'T BUY SHEER COVER PRODUCTS!

Hanging on the edge of having absolutely no money Matt's employer finally paid him half of what he was owed. We wanted to put the money in my account since that's where the bills come from and I panicked as I rushed to the bank minutes before they closed. When I got there the teller was closed, but an employee showed me how to use the ATM deposit system that not only counts your money right there but it shows up instantly on your account! As I checked my bank account at home it turned out that I had also received my large financial aid deposit!

It all happened in the nick of time before our bills were due and Matt was out of work. Not to mention we were nearly out of food and cat litter. We celebrated by finally going to TGIF's as we had planned for my birthday. I must say that they have terrible service here but at least the food is good and this time it wasn't a three hour dining experience.

Matt and I also went rock-climbing where Matt managed to break upon the same blister from the last time we went as well as create new ones. It was a short trip since Matt lost so much skin, but I was proud of myself for trying harder and finally getting to the top of more than one bouldering route. I'm still at the lowest level, but hopefully I can build up the strength to do harder routes.

On Sunday I had the joyful experience of being the chorister for sacrament meeting. I messed up a lot and it didn't help that the first song actually changes the count multiple times in the song. It's amazing how bad I am at that, but having someone there is better than nothing. Additionally I held a meeting after church to start our ward choir! I'm no choir director but I'm hoping that we can all work together and come up with some good songs to add to our sacrament meetings. We have a wonderful ward!

This week Matt and I switched places where I went to uni every day and he stayed at home and slept in. He now has his ABN (tax number for businesses) which allows him to do painting work on his own. Through friends he has also had little opportunities to make money. Mike from our ward has a business doing deliveries with his van and invited Matt to help deliver pianos and things. A friend from the painting job he was at got him signed up with his wife's casting agency and he went to a casting call (basically they just call the agency if he fits the bill for an extra in their movie). Also, the builder of that same job hired Matt for a few odds and ends for the last two days. We have been very blessed with spectacular friends!

As for me, I now have a desk with my other lab members! This means that I will go to uni regularly to work on my project, read articles, etc. I'm working with Tasmanian Devil girl Kelly, Dingo girl Eloise, and Bat guy Time. I'm excited to be tiger girl and I am excited to get started!

Unfortunately, we are still waiting on Taronga Zoo paperwork before starting research and this week was mostly filled with workshops. The Masters of Research program is filled with many workshops and checkpoints, so to speak, to help us complete this large thesis. It's mostly really boring, but I'm trying to get as much out of it as I can.

I also got a fun late birthday package from my family! The best thing was the cat toy which Shade destroyed the first day and yet still plays with the mangled remains. He's a goofball!


No comments:

Post a Comment