Monday, September 8, 2014

The Bake Sale

The last couple weeks have been filled with two things. Statistics and baking. 

To cover the boring stuff first, I'll explain a little of my statistical dilemma. After collecting all my data on different tiger vocalisations I needed to do tests to determine how well my measurements help predict each tiger call. Additionally, I needed to find the probabilities of all my observations based on the measurements. After multiple days of working with two people that are very knowledgeable in biology statistics in R, we were able to perform the tests I needed and relevant plots! Now I just need to recreate some more plots and figures and get to writing!

Besides the many days of stressing about getting my statistics done, I also had a big bake sale to worry about. Our stake organised a fundraiser to help our youth raise money to go to what is called "FSY" (previously EFY - especially for youth). Each ward young men and young women had to come up with something to sell and we decided on baked goods. We didn't know what other wards would have or how much we would need so we guessed. Our plan was to bake with the youth Friday night before the activity, but knowing we would not be able to get a lot done in one day each young women leader prepped and baked a lot in advance. Friday I ended up cooking from 2pm to 7pm at home, then 7 to 9pm with the youth (which there was actually only one youth and a whole bunch of leaders), and then from 9pm to 11pm. I made orange cake, no bake cookies, snickerdoodles, apple cake, and cupcakes. I started worrying I didn't make enough so I got up the next morning at 5:30am, went to the store, and baked more cookies until it was time to go. 

The day of the fundraiser it was raining and I assumed the sales would occur indoors but when I arrived everyone was outside under canopies. Luckily another bishop had provided our ward with a canopy so by the time I got there we had cover. It rained most of the day and when it didn't we had cold winds. I was proud of our youth getting up early and manning the car wash in the rain!

We ended up having so much food! The issue was that many of the other wards had big meals and a few had baked goods as well. One ward in particular had a member who made professional cupcakes. Needless to say we didn't sell many cupcakes. We earned about $400 and overall the stake made around $7700! It was a big success as a stake and hopefully will help many of the youth to attend the FSY in January. Our ward luckily has few youth and we are able to help all of them to go. 




Sunday was Father's day and we provided all the leftovers of the sale to the families in the ward. Unfortunately, I still have the majority of the apple cake and my body is not enjoying all the sugar. Did I mention I also made cinnamon rolls? They didn't turn out right so I didn't sell them, but now I have too many sweets! 

No comments:

Post a Comment