Sunday, October 5, 2014

The Final Countdown

As time has gone buy I have thought a lot about a few blogs I really want to do, but right now just isn't the time. So look for some interesting blogs in the future!

This will be short and sweet because 1. I don't have a lot of time, 2. I don't have any pictures to contribute, and 3. my life is pretty boring.

What is life like right before you turn in the written thesis of your year-long's work you ask? Busy, awful, and one big headache! To start, a couple of weeks ago my wonderful bio-stats helper let me know I had done the order incorrect on my model. Little did I know this would create a fourth variable being very significant and would really need a four-dimensional plot to help visually interpret the results! 4-dimensional plots were beyond my ability in R and created a lot of stress. After talking to my supervisor, we realised we could omit that variable and stick with my two-dimensional plot... phew!!!

Later, I had to give a presentation on my project in front of the other students and some of the biology department that showed up. I'm not nervous typically with giving presentations, but I still hadn't figured some things out and I was most afraid they would ask difficult statistical questions. Luckily, I could easily answer their questions and another milestone was completed. 

With that over, I had tons of writing to do! Each day I finished writing a section and sent it to my supervisor (except she isn't allowed to see the discussion). My mom and step-sister were also willing to take a look at the finished draft including the discussion and now I am just waiting on feedback from everyone while also doing my own edits. The final printed product is due this Friday and needless to say there is no time for several drafts to be made. Since, there is no thesis defense in Australia, I won't get any other feedback until the reviewer's decision. The reviewers give you a final grade, which may include compulsory revisions to be made before the award can be accepted. As much as I may wish to be completely done with this already, I have revisions to do now, possibly more in late November, and next week I have to make a shorter journal article version to try and publish. The work is never over!

I know I will get this done and am looking forward to moving on from this! I can't wait to finally leave behind all the stress, politics, and frustration involved in my Master's. I'm happy with what I have been able to accomplish despite all the roadblocks I've had, but I am so glad I am not jumping into another three years of it with a PhD. Where do I go now? I have no idea. I will be spending the next three months de-stressing, living life, and doing some serious contemplating about what to do next. I trust the Lord to guide me to my true 'purpose' (see figure) and perhaps it is with animals and perhaps not. I'm lucky that although I've spent so much of my life seeking a career with animals, I would be happy in many different careers. With all the student debt I have accrued, I think it may be time to find a career that I can enjoy and still pay off debt. 


No comments:

Post a Comment