Monday, January 28, 2013

Ups and Downs

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. 
Ralph Waldo Emerson 
I am a patient person with certain things, and others I have no patience. Waiting to hear about my Visa approval to go to Australia is something I don't have patience for. It seems as if each part to going to Australia has been a long process where I have had to wait long periods of time. This wouldn't be a problem if I had lots of time, but I don't. I might not know about my Visa until February 9th, but I have a plane ticket to leave February 11th (don't worry it's transferable). I've found some good cheaper places for accommodation, but I can't really make a commitment until I know I have my Visa. So there is nothing I can do, but wait. 

Monday was great because I made Yumm bowls for a group FHE we had at our apartment. Unfortunately I didn't make enough for late comers and seconds, but it was fun. The lesson was really great as I was able to learn more about everyone's conversion story which always boosts my own testimony as well. Although we often think about people joining the church and how they became "converted," but truthfully conversion is also when even people born as a member learns the church is true for themselves. For me I always knew The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is true for me, but as I prayed to know if the church is true, if the Book of Mormon is true, and if Joseph Smith was a true prophet I made a big discovery. After weeks of prayer I finally felt and overwhelming warmth and comfort that I knew to be the Lord that not only was everything I had been taught true, but it wasn't true just for me. I learned that the LDS church is the ONLY true church on the earth. This changed my life! I became a convert from that moment on with a new determination to do what's right and help others also learn and gain a testimony. With a testimony like that, it doesn't matter what others say and do to try to convince you otherwise, I've received many confirmations that The Church is true and I cannot deny that. 

Tuesday was my birthday - Jan 22. I am officially 27 and I don't feel any different. That morning I could tell Matt had forgotten my birthday and I wondered how long it would take for him to remember. Later in the day I locked myself out of the apartment and luckily Matt was done with work and could come open the door, but I had to spend around 40 minutes in the freezing cold and I definitely wore the wrong shoes! If I was in a better mood the whole thing would have been hilarious, but I wasn't so I was pretty miserable. Matt did remember my birthday while he was at work and took me to Olive Garden later so my day got better at least. I'd say over my lifetime I've had about 10 great birthdays and most occurred when I was younger so overall I find few reasons to look forward to a birthday. 

Wednesday night's financial class was a lot of fun as well. Matt and I learned that he is the free-spirit and I am the nerd (surprise, surprise). What this means is that I like to be on time, make plans, and when it comes to making a budget I like to be very detailed and precise with everything. Matt's actually more of a combination where he knows a budget is important, but he's not always interested in taking the time to make a spreadsheet or anything. This was very interesting because Dave Ramsey explains how when it comes to budgeting you really need to think about the type of person you are whether a free-spirit, nerd, spender, or saver. Ironically Matt is more of the saver, but he also made enough money to easily exceed his expenses. That has been a rare occurrence for me while I barely got enough to live off of during school. I'm excited for next week's class!

Matt's nephew Jacob had his birthday on Wednesday so Friday we had dinner with his family and then went to play laser tag afterwards. It was pretty awesome because the whole family was there which never happens! All of the Rose siblings were there, and the grandparents! Naturally the grandparents didn't stay for laser tag. It was awesome because Lindsey (Matt's sister) had never played laser tag before, and naturally did really well! I'm more of a defense person so I don't rack of points really, but at least I always get the people like Matt that are purely offense! 

Saturday Matt and I went to the Portland temple. Surprisingly there were a TON of people there! I guess that was the perfect day for all those preparing to go on a mission to go through the temple for the first time. Four people were doing their own endowment (personal ordinance for the first time) and so I had to wait for the next session since there were so many people. It was crazy. We spent the rest of the night just relaxing and watching Prison Break on Netflix. Little did we know we were going to get a call at 4 a.m. because Matt's sister Kendra was really sick and needed a blessing. Miraculously our friend Paul was awake playing Assassin's Creed and was able to come and help do the blessing (you need two priesthood holders). It was a very spiritual experience and I was glad we were able to be there when we were needed. Luckily we were also able to take long naps later as well! Later that day we were also able to sell a couple of things I had posted on craigslist so it was a great day! We really need all the money we can get to pay for my plane ticket and housing in Australia. Also, we still don't know how much financial aid I am getting so there is a possibility I could get there and have to return because I don't have enough money. I am hopeful though, and only the Lord know how things will play out!

No comments:

Post a Comment