Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Dreams Come True...Eventually

If you haven't heard, I have officially moved to Australia!! Sometimes you just need to wait a long time for things to work out.

So here's what happened....Monday February 12th I heard about my financial aid where I learned I was going to get enough federal loans to cover all my tuition and living - Yeah! I finally didn't have to worry that I would arrive and be sent back due to lack of funds. Nevertheless, the Visa had still not come. Tuesday I had a mental breakdown because I was so tired of waiting, and I knew I was going to miss orientation on Friday! I stayed up late that night after I had calmed down, read my patriarchal blessing and some scriptures. I prayed to my Heavenly Father letting him know that I would wait as long as I had to, but I also knew if He chose - I could get my Visa the next day. Well, my prayer was heard because the next day I DID get my Visa (which is just an e-mail with a number in it by the way). I booked a flight for the next day and spent the rest of the time making sure I had everything packed and ready.

Valentine's day began with an early drive to the airport where Matt slept most of the time and I left to Honolulu. I had a 21 hour overnight layover there and no place to stay. Due to the holiday there were hardly any hotels open unless it was around $700 or more a night, and I tried to contact bishops in the area but they didn't answer. I figured since they would keep my checked bags I could wander around and sleep there if I had to. When I arrived I was thinking maybe I would get a rental and sleep in that - especially when I discovered I would have to take my bags and check them in the following day. Meanwhile my mom had been worried sick about my layover and after calling many local members without reaching any, she finally found someone that could pick me up from the airport. Just after that she got a return call from Bishop Black who said he had a couch I could sleep on. Soon after I arrived I saw the message from my mom and was picked up from the airport and had a great place to sleep! The Blacks were great and Debbie took me to a lookout so I could see a little of Honolulu. It was a relaxing day and I was really grateful for a good place to sleep before my 10 hr flight the next day.

Honolulu, HI Lookout


When I got to Sydney I had to lug my luggage to the trains so I could meet up with Brock Butler in Parramatta. The first train I got some help to get my luggage on the train, but the connection was more tricky. They told me to take a certain train that I could get access to by the lift (elevator). A guard helped me from there to the train, and then the guard on the train helped me get the bags off before the train left again. It was a long trip, but I made it to Parramatta! I got to meet Katelyn Butler (Brock's wife), and they are such an awesome couple!

Sunday we had stake conference so I got to see a lot more familiar faces. A lot has changed in 3 years since I was last here, but I'm glad to see people still remember me! Monday I went out to try and get things done. I was able to get a phone plan with unlimited talk and text and 4GB data for $40, although it took a couple stores to find one with a nano sim card for the iPhone 5. I did some things at the Uni (short for university) and was able to go look at a potential place to stay. The shared house was large, but had some major flaws...although the woman didn't allow partying, there were huge stains all over the carpet, and some areas of the house you had to go through a room to get to a bathroom, and to top it all off...there are 8 people in that house with only 3 bathrooms! Needless to say it made me quite weary of the Macquarie listings with many bedrooms. Later I had another appointment to look at a different house, but my phone was dead. So I had to go buy a USB cable and a plug with a USB outlet. I had to ask a woman at the library for scissors to open the container, then charge it before I could finally get enough battery to call the next house. Go figure, she was already showing it to some others and said she'd call me back. I ended up just going home since I had walked so much that day and my legs were aching. When I got home we left to go to couples FHE with Gideon and Clarissa who were recently married in December. It was a great way to end a tiring day.

Today I had an orientation for International MRes/PhD students. It was boring, but I learned a few things. I apparently need to get an Australian bank account so they can get me the money from my scholarship. As I was leaving a girl came up to me because she noticed I raised my hand that I was looking for a place to stay. I went to visit the place and it's actually a Catholic place with a chapel and everything. They have a separate building with a hallway with four separate rooms kind of like a hotel with each having their own bathroom. At the end of the hall is the kitchen with two fridges, a washer and dryer, and a separate room with a dining table - soon to have a TV. It's $800/mth which was higher than some others I was looking at, but it's just down the street from Uni, right next to a bus stop, and I really liked that they had a dryer and your own bathroom. I have to wait till tomorrow to see if I can do a shorter lease, but if it works out I found a place to stay! If not, I have a long day of house hunting!

I still can't believe I finally made it here, and as the director at orientation said, I was picked to be here out of thousands of applicants. I'm so grateful that the Lord has helped me to be here! Dreams really do come true, just all in the Lord's time.

No comments:

Post a Comment