Monday, February 25, 2013

Transitions

I recently read an article about niche construction and how many species adapt to the environment around them, or they relocate to an environment more appropriate for their characteristics. It got me thinking...am I adapting or relocating? In a sense - both. When I left Australia in 2009 I felt like I was leaving my true home in a sense. After a long time of traveling around I had finally found a place where I wanted to call my permanent home. Don't get me wrong, Utah, Oregon, and even Florida will always be other homes to me, but it's not the same. I feel as if I relocated to where my personality and other characteristics fit in with my environment. However, there is some adaptation necessary as well. Australia doesn't have sink disposals, many people don't have dryers, I don't have a dishwasher, and some of my favorite things just don't exist here. Nevertheless, I am eager to adapt and try to fit in.

I am now living at the Catholic place I mentioned last week. It's like living in a hotel, and I don't have much desire to cook really. Although it has some flaws, it is a great quiet place to focus primarily on my studies. Unfortunately since I still don't have my financial aid money I am still missing some useful room essentials like a comforter, fan, rubbish bin (trash can), and other related items that didn't come with the room. Hopefully in the next week I will be able to do that. The grocery store is just up the street so I only get whatever I am willing to carry back with me. I was very sad that they don't make my favorite cookies and cream Tim Tam's anymore. I think I have found some replacements however.

The rest of this last week had been mostly moving and getting settled into the new place. I went to church on Sunday at the Greenwich ward where my friend Pete Anderson goes. I'm on the borderline of two wards and Pete convinced me to try his ward. When I got there he had already set up a meeting for me to get my records moved there. It is an extremely multi-cultural ward with many Chinese converts, US couples, New Zealanders, and more. Everyone was very nice, but I was kind of sad that I didn't know more people. Once you get married it just seems weird to spend time with others not married or at least in serious relationships. The only exceptions are those that you have known for a long time. I'm spouseless for the time being and so I struggle to make new friends because my other half is missing.


Yesterday was my first day of classes and it was a crazy day! I was at the Uni from 8:30 am to 5 pm. I'm taking four classes, but two of them (Biology classes) have unusual time schedules.The Biology department had inductions (introductions) for both of those classes on Monday from 9-1 so I had to miss my first Statistics lecture at 12pm. Luckily in Australia it is really common to have iLectures where the audio for the lesson is recorded with the slides so you can basically watch the whole lesson later. Also, by missing the lecture I was able to get some lunch and buy one of my course books. The campus was absolutely crazy though! This week is O Week which means there are booths for loads of clubs and groups all over, music, free food, and activities going on. I walked around and took some pictures of some interesting groups I found. It was supposed to rain all week, but instead it was boiling hot! I talked to the LDS missionaries booth and they had stopped walking around because it was so hot. Despite getting really sweaty, I didn't mind the heat that much - I'm just happy to see the sun!

Later I had my final Masters of Research (MRes) class and then another Biology introduction. They had beer and pizza for this last discussion about postgraduate study. Although the pizza was dominoes I was sad that they have such thin crust pizzas unlike my favorite thick crust I get in the US. It was odd to be in an environment where professors and students alike were drinking beer (I had juice), and my teachers swear a lot, but it's what happens. Even members swear here because they have a different set of words that are considered swearing here.  We discussed the differences between undergrad and postgrad studies. Nothing was really surprising, but it is kind of depressing to talk about how bored, frustrated, and desperate you will get during your studies.

This is the beginning of my transition. The transition to Australia, postgraduate studies, being without my husband, and big changes. I can't possibly express my emotions right now with everything, but as I have a huge pile of research papers and book chapters to read for homework I don't have time to stress. I'm positive this year will be extremely difficult for me to adjust to a whole new way of school, but I am ready for the challenge. There is a lot of pressure to get 80% and above in all my classes because if I don't, I lose my scholarship, I may not be able to continue the program, and ultimately I won't qualify to do my PhD. What can I do, but the best I can? I am hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment