Monday, March 4, 2013

And the Loneliness Begins...

The rest of last week was fairly uneventful. Thursday I went to hang out with Kaytlin and Brock Butler. Kaytlin and I just talked a lot which I think I realized later I really needed. Matt called while I was there and I was able to have him "meet" Kaytlin and show her our cat. It was a fun night that ended to be quite wet as it was raining when I ran to the bus.

Rain continued for most of the weekend. Unfortunately I wasn't quite clothing equipped for it so when my roommate and I went to class Friday morning my feet were completely soaked as well as my jacket. I might finally have to get an umbrella since I prefer walking to school every day. It's just such a waste to wait for the bus when the Uni is only 10 minutes walk down the road. Nevertheless it was a pretty good day. My tutorial (lab) that day was a blast because my teacher is this fun bigger woman in her 50's I believe with a heavy Scottish accent. She's been in Australia for a long time, but the accent is still thick which makes her so much fun to listen to. Also, she spent the first 15 minutes explaining how she is really laid back so that makes it even better! I originally planned to switch to the Thursday class so I could have a long weekend, but I'd rather have a great tute teacher even if it is on Friday morning.

It also helps that I made a new friend in class besides my roommate Semeera. Cedrick is an IT student and a hip-hop dancer - I had to introduce him to the class. We had lunch afterwards and it was nice to have a local recommend food places as well as tell me how to pronounce certain things such as a Gozleme is pronounced gauze-el-em. You'd be surprised how many things are spelled and pronounced different here. Brock and Kaytlin make fun of me saying carmel when it should be caramel. Tires are spelled tyres, behavior is behaviour, organization is organisation, and my all time favorite - jail is spelled gaol (don't ask me why). It's all part of the fun.

After my class I went to the library to work on a blog for one of my classes. You can check it out here: biofrontiers.wordpress.com. I spent around three hours straight to finish the blog based on other research I had done prior only to find out when I got home my teachers decided to change the due date to Monday. Oh well, at least it was done. That night it was still raining which made it really cold in my room. This was not helpful as I only have a sheet to keep my warm - so I've started sleeping with my sweater and socks on. It's not freezing, but a sheet is definitely not enough.

Saturday I was extremely lazy and basically watched a lot of movies. It was raining so I didn't feel like going outside and my bus pass expired so I wasn't going anywhere. That's when I decided I was actually really lonely. I could have bugged a roommate, but it's just not the same as your best friends that always want to know how you're doing and what you're up to. The feeling continued on Sunday as well when I ran into a friend from the last time I was here. It's simply awkward seeing people I knew before I was married after over three years. It gets better over time, but that first time is still different. It's not just because I'm missing my other half, but I've changed tremendously since I last saw these people and naturally they have too. So, it's like making new friends again in a way. I don't mind it too much, but it would be nice to have Matt here. At first I think I missed the cat more, but now I miss my eternal companion that I'm used to sharing everything with. We'll just have to make up the time when he gets here. In the meantime, I'm trying to be more social and branch out, and I am looking into getting a job if I can find one on campus.

Today I think I did rather well branching out. I now have a group of bio students to talk to during my Stat's class (we're all in most of the same classes). It was a great day to chat too because the fire alarm went off and we had to evacuate the building. About a minute after returning it happened again so it was a good opportunity to bond over how ridiculous that class is. The Master of Research program is brand new so all the classes for the program are brand new as well. Being the guinea pigs is good and bad since your teachers are more flexible, but they may also not have a great structure. My stats teacher is well knowledgeable, but her method of teaching us how to use the R program for statistics is slow-moving. At least I have even more to talk about with my bio group.

No comments:

Post a Comment