Sunday, June 8, 2014

Just Keep Moving Forward

Sometimes when life gets rough you just need to keep moving forward one step at a time. My circumstances may not be any better or worse than others, but regardless I am trying to at least do continue doing things each day. Some day I hope I can find my typical workhorse self!

I am struggling to put one foot in front of the other particularly with my Master's project. The latest news is that I found a new supplier for surveillance equipment and am waiting on them to get all of what we need so we can pick it up. Next I went with Jennifer to the zoo last week where we discussed also putting another audio recording device in the other enclosure. We found out that one of the tigers was sick so we may have to wait a couple of weeks before we can put video equipment up. 

Tree Kangaroo at Taronga
Pelican showing off his wings - he sure knew how to pose!
On Saturday I went again to get full SD cards as well as provide the other audio recorder we had discussed. To my joy (and dismay due to extra work) we were able to find a semi-suitable place for the other recorder. This will allow me to get all of the lone male's vocalisations, or so we hope. The bad news is that the sick tiger actually had a bone lodged in his throat and had to be operated on to remove it. This means that no surveillance equipment will be put up until he has fully recovered which may be in about a month! To put this in perspective: I have about 500 hours of audio recordings I have still not gone through and sorted, when the video cameras are put up I intend to get another 504 hours of video with 500 more hours of audio, I need to go through all of that, get what I need for analysis, do my statistics, and write up my thesis by October 10th. My original prediction was to start writing my thesis by July. I will definitely not be able to get through all of my audio, but the fact that I don't have any video yet is a real problem!!! Yikes! There's not much I can do now but just keep moving forward and hope I don't pass out somewhere.

On a brighter note, here are some other things from the last couple of weeks....

Matt and I went to the city over a week ago to tour the city, see the wildlife photography display at the Australian museum and see the special Vivid Sydney light displays that go on every year. We had a good time and Matt was so happy because we stopped at a Japanese restaurant selling udon, which reminded him of when he visited Japan. It was a really long trip home on public transportation, but it was a great night. 

Anzac Memorial Reflection Pool

Clock in the Queen Victoria Building

Building made to look like a tree for Vivid Sydney

Sydney Opera House

Sydney Harbour Bridge



The following Sunday we met a new friend. The sister missionaries asked us to pick up an investigator (Liam) for church. Liam is a 33-yr-old Aussie that has had a very difficult life and spent his birthday the day before by himself forgotten by all including his family. We decided to invite him and the sisters over for dinner and a mini-birthday for him. The sisters made a cake and when we sang Happy Birthday to him he nearly cried. He hadn't had anyone make a cake or sing to him for his birthday since he was 6 years old. I was glad we were able to provide something for him, and I hope we will see him often. It breaks my heart that anyone could be so poorly mistreated and despised by their own family. Regardless of how someone comes into this world, all of us are still children of God and should be treated as such. 

Spectacular double rainbow when driving home from church

Last Monday Matt and I also had our final group dinner. Josie and Lachie did a spectacular job with yummy spinach and ricotta cannelloni's, bruschetta, salad, stuffed mushrooms, italian sodas, and the leaning tower of pisa cheesecake and cookies! Lots of good food and fun. We will likely continue doing something once a month although probably not a big dinner since that gets pricey. 

Photo Mike Barnett took of dessert

Despite all my anxiety and frustrations with my project, I am at least glad I have good friends here and in the US, an awesome family that cares about me, a wonderful spouse that provides for me, my recent discovery of apples with nutella, and of course my unconditionally loving cat!!


Attacking his fav. reindeer from Christmas
(we have now had to dispose of it)

No comments:

Post a Comment